M. Ayodele Heath is author of Otherness (Brick Road Poetry Press).
Creative Loafing describes this native Atlantan performance poet as “a lanky African-American man with arms that stretch and reach as his stories unfold.” Ayodele has been featured at such venues as the National Black Arts Festival, the Nuyorican Poets Café, the Turner Trumpet Awards, and TurnerSouth’s MySouth Speaks television campaign.
Ayodele’s awards include:
- Atlanta Bureau for Cultural Affairs Emerging Artist grant
- Pushcart Prize nominee
- McEver Visiting Chair in Writing at Georgia Tech
- Fellowship to the Caversham Centre for Artists, South Africa
- Cave Canem fellow
- 2-time Southeastern Regional Slam Champion
- Top-10 finisher at the National Poetry Slam
His poetry has appeared in Callaloo, the New York Quarterly, Crab Orchard Review, Mississippi Review, India’s International Gallerie, and the anthology Poetry Slam: the Competitive Art of Performance Poetry.